This scenic wooded hike offers a great combination of elevation change, length, and beauty, and is the access point to gorgeous trails at Phleger Estate.
This property is home to bobcats, black-tailed deer, eagles, newts and banana slugs
This hike begins within Huddart park on Crystal Springs trail, and continues along shady Union Creek onto the POST-protected Phleger Estate.
Huddart Park was named after James Huddart, a wealthy lumberman who was raised in an orphanage. Huddart’s difficult childhood inspired him to do something for the local youth, so before he died in 1935, he deeded 900 acres of his property to the County of San Francisco, with instructions that it be developed into a public park. A few years later the property was willed to San Mateo County, who has owned and operated the land as a public park since 1944.
Once known as Mountain Meadow, the historic Phleger Estate is a former logging site where redwoods and wildlife habitat are now protected as part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. POST protected this 1,252-acre estate in 1994 with the help of Save-the-Redwoods League and private donors. It opened to the public in 1995 after POST secured $10.5 million from the federal Land and Water Conservation Fund and transferred the land to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.